The School was founded in 1955 and is named after Colgate Whitehead Darden, Jr., a former Democratic congressman, governor of Virginia, and former president of the University of Virginia. Darden is on the grounds of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.
The School is famous for being one of the most prominent business schools to use the case method as its sole method of teaching.
The MBA class has about 340 students, about a third of whom are female. Slightly less than 10 percent of Darden students have served in the military, and the school offers several military leadership electives.
Darden Business School Programmes
1. Dardan Business School MBA:
Through the world’s best education experience, top-ranked faculty and responsive alumni network, Darden prepares responsible leaders who step forward to improve the world.
Below you will find a list of requirements to apply to Darden. As you read through the requirements, watch this interview with Poets & Quants, in which Dawna Clarke shares her thoughts on Darden’s commitment to making business education affordable and how Darden’s No. 1 ranked educational experience provides unique opportunities for women and advances all students’ careers.
– GMAT OR GRE Score
Applicants are required to take either the GMAT or GRE.
The GMAT is offered only as a computer adaptive test in the United States. Pearson VUE administers the GMAT, and Darden’s program code is KC7-0X-86. The school evaluates only test score results from tests taken prior to submission of the application.
– English Language Test Score
As much as 50% of a student’s grade at Darden depends upon active oral participation in the classroom. The University of Virginia requires demonstrated English proficiency. The recommended way to demonstrate English proficiency is to submit a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score.
Please prepare a business résumé (as opposed to an academic CV) that includes your employment history in reverse chronological order, with titles, dates and whether you worked part-time or full-time.
Use the essay to display your writing skills and tell us more about yourself. You will be asked to organize a persuasive argument to show us how you think about and approach business challenges.
We require two recommendations that address the questions asked on our recommendation form. Additional recommendations may be submitted, but they should offer additional and valuable insight. Generally, work-related recommendations are more valuable than academic-related recommendations.
An evaluative interview is conducted by invitation only after your application has been submitted and reviewed by the admissions committee.
It is expected that all applicants to Darden will have either completed their bachelor’s degree at a college or university in the United States or hold a college or university degree equivalent to a four-year American baccalaureate degree.
– Application Fee
A non-refundable application fee of $250 must accompany the application. Online application fees can be paid by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) through Darden’s secure server or by check, money order or cashier’s check. Credit card payments are preferred.
- Gather the required materials and fill out the online application.
- Submit the application with the application fee.
- Once you have submitted your application and fee, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Admissions account managers will determine if your application is complete. Please do not contact our office to double-check that your application is complete, as it may delay the process. If anything is missing, you will be contacted directly.
2. Dardan Business School Executive MBA:
Dardan Business School Executive formats operate on a schedule designed specifically for busy working professionals, leveraging both in-person and virtual components so students minimize their time away from home and the office and maximize their time in class. The Executive MBA formats are more integrated than ever, with EMBA and GEMBA students learning together and mixing constantly throughout the program.
In fact, the formats are 70% the same. The only difference is that GEMBA students participate in all four, week-long global residencies and EMBA students participate in one of the four global residencies.
The deadlines to submit your application for the EMBA and GEMBA Classes of 2021, to begin studies in August 2020, are detailed below.
- The application will be available in August, and you can submit your completed application at any time before the final deadline.
- Admitted applicants will be asked to pay a $4,000 deposit in order to reserve their place in the class.
- Deposits are non-refundable but will be applied to your tuition account as a credit when you enroll.
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business executive MBA admissions application is considered complete when all of the following items have been submitted.
There is a $250 application fee that is required to submit your online application.
- The Application
- Supplemental Information
- The Interview
- Tuition Fee for Executive MBA program
- The following figures are for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Domestic Students*International Students Total Tuition & Fees$64,520$64,720